Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups low carb tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 (15 oz.) container Ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- 1 1/2 cups California Black Ripe Olives, sliced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 pound eggplant, sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick and salted
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned and cooked through.
- Mix in 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce and basil and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup California Ripe Olives, egg, oregano and remaining salt. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil, approximately 1 tablespoon at a time, in a clean sauté pan over medium high heat and cook eggplant, in batches, until browned and softened for 2 minutes on each side.
- Place one layer of eggplant (approximately 3 slices) in a 7-inch by 11-inch baking dish. Top with ricotta cheese mixture and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Place another layer of eggplant on top. Pour meat sauce over eggplant and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- Top with remaining eggplant and drizzle with remaining tomato sauce. Cover with remaining California Ripe Olives, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Bake, covered, in a 425•F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5–10 minutes, then cut into 6 serving pieces.