Lemony Olive Cakes
Prep Time : 25 minutes Cook Time : 12 to 14 minutes Makes 12 small cakes.
Ingredients for Cakes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon each: vanilla and lemon extract
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup chopped California ripe olives
- Finely grated lemon zest and white sparkling sugar (optional)
Ingredients for Frosting
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon each: lemon and vanilla extracts
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 12 mini cupcake cups* with paper liners. Whisk together sugar, sour cream, butter, lemon zest, extracts and egg in a large bowl. Lightly stir in flour, baking powder and sea salt, then stir in olives.
- Spoon equal amounts into lined cups and bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cakes are set to the touch; let cool.
- Beat all frosting ingredients in a mixer bowl until lightly and fluffy. Spread a small amount onto each cake. (Or, place in a small bag and snip 1/2-inch off one corner.) Pipe frosting onto cakes. Garnish with additional lemon zest, if desired. Makes 12 small cakes.