Grilled Zucchini with Quick Tomato-Olive Sauce and Feta Cheese
Cook Time : 20 min 4 servings
Ingredients for Grilled Zucchini
- 2 medium-large zucchini (about 1/4 lbs./570 g), ends trimmed off and sliced lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick plans
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
Ingredients for Tomato-Olive Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, with about 1/4 of the juices drained off
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano or 1½ teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup California Black Ripe Olives, drained and halved
- 2 oz. (60 g) crumbled feta cheese
- For the zucchini, lightly brush each plank with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Grill briefly until golden grill marks form and it starts to soften, being careful not to overcook or it will get mushy.
- For the sauce, add the olive oil to a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly, then add the tomato, oregano, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Bring up to a boil, then cook until thickened, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off the heat and stir in the olives.
- Transfer the zucchini to a serving platter, top with the tomato sauce, sprinkle on the feta, and serve.