Black Olive Risotto Balls
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio or short grain rice
- 1 container (32-oz.) chicken stock, warmed
- 1/2 cup sauvignon blanc
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/3 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, divided
- 1/4 cup minced sun-dried tomatoes (preferably smoked)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 can (2.2-oz.) sliced California Ripe Olives, drained and coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil cooking spray
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add garlic and shallots; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in rice and cook for 2 minutes more. Add chicken stock, 1/2 cup at a time, adding more when broth has been absorbed, stirring frequently. When all broth has been used, stir in mozzarella, 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, olives and pepper. Let cool, then cover and chill for at least 1 hour or until firm.
Roll mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. Stir together breadcrumbs and remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano. Roll each ball in flour, then in beaten egg, then in breadcrumb mixture. Let stand for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Place risotto balls on a baking sheet and spray liberally on all sides with olive oil cooking spray. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, coating with olive oil spray every 10 minutes.