Cabernet-Braised Short Ribs over Olive-Potato Pancakes
Ingredients for the short ribs:
- 4 bone-in beef short ribs (about 2 pounds)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons diced pancetta
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fennel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups cabernet sauvignon
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 can (2.2-oz.) sliced California Ripe Olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
Ingredients for the olive-potato pancakes:
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup snipped fresh chives
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 can (2.2-oz.) chopped California Ripe Olives
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 eggs
Directions for the short ribs:
Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides in a large saucepan over high heat. Remove from pot and set aside.
Add pancetta, garlic, onion, celery, fennel and carrot; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute more. Add wine, stock, herbs, olives and tomato paste to pot, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Return short ribs and any juices to the pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer over very low heat, covered but with the lid cracked, for 2 1/2 hours.
Remove cover and simmer over medium-high heat for 30 minutes more or until ribs are very tender and sauce has thickened.
Serve over Olive-Potato Pancakes.
Directions for the olive-potato pancakes:
Coarsely grate potatoes and place in a bowl of ice water to keep from discoloring.
Stir together chives, flour, olives, garlic salt, pepper and eggs in a medium bowl. Drain the potatoes and firmly squeeze out excess moisture; stir into egg mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of potato mixture for each pancake into skillet. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, flattening with the back of a spatula and cooking until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Repeat with remaining oil and potato mixture.
Place a spoonful of Cabernet-Braised Short Ribs onto each pancake.